Updated: 7 Dec 12
Opened: Oct 1943
Airfield code :: MN
ICAO Code ::
Airfield call sign :: COFFEESTALL
Squadrons based here:
106 Sqn :: Nov 1943 - Feb 1946
467 Sqn RAAF :: Jun 1945 - Oct 1945
189 Sqn :: Oct 1945 -
1690 Bomber Defence Flight ::
Bomber station originally assigned to 5 Gp.
The class 'A' standard airfield was built during 1942 and 1943 on 600 acres of farmland, located largely in the Parish of Martin The runways were to the standard specification with the main 02-20 runway at 2000 yds and 13-31 and 07-25 at 1,400 yds.
One of the standard T2 hangars was placed on the technical site, which was alongside the B1189 near Linwood Grange, between runway heads 02 and 07, and the other off the east perimeter track between runway heads 25 and 31. A B1 hangar lay north of runway head 13 near Barff Farm. The bomb store was situated around Blackthorn Holt and other woodland between runway heads 13 and 20. The camp sites were built directly south around the B1189 and consisted of one mess, one communal, one WAAF, four domestic and a sick quarters. Accommodation was scaled for 1685 males and 345 females.
Metheringham was one of the handful of RAF bases to be equipped with FIDO for fog dispersal.
106 Sqn was the initial resident at Metheringham, moving in in Nov 1943 just one month after it became operational. By the end of hostilities 106 Sqn had lost 65 Lancaster in operations flown from the airfield. After VE-Day, 467 Sqn RAAF arrived to train with 106 Sqn for operations in the Far East. The end of the war overtook this plan and 467 Sqn disbanded at the start of Oct 1945. 189 Sqn took its place but this too was soon stood down. 106 Squadron endured until Feb 1946 when it too disbanded. RAF Metheringham was closed to flying shortly thereafter.
Although the airfield site remained fairly intact until the 1950s, hangars and most of the domestic buildings were demolished by 1970. The airfield was sold off for farming in 1961/62 with some hardstandings removed. Parts of runways 07-25 and 13-31 were pressed into service to to reinstate two minor roads subsumed into the airfield. Several technical site buildings remain in use for commercial purposes. There is currently a project to restore and rebuild the original Air Traffic tower and neighbouring building to provide an exhibition space. More detail on the tower page.
RAF Metheringham Airfield Visitor Centre is based at the airfield site in the former ration store. Details are on the memorial page. Read also about the T4 Jet Provost restoration programme on the same page.
In the Middle of Nowhere: The History of RAF Metheringham (Richard Bailey, 1999)
RAF Metheringham on ControlTowers.co.uk
aerial photo of RAF Metheringham
multimap.com aerial photo
powered by blueconsultancy