Updated: 7 Dec 12
Opened: 12 May 1941
Closed: 23 Jan 1943
Re-opened: 9 May 1943
Closed: flying ceased 15 May 1945, station closed 6 Aug 1947
Airfield code: HE
Squadrons based here:
255 Sqn :: 12 May 1941 -
253 Sqn :: 23 Sep 1941 -
1459 Flt :: 20 Sep 1941 - 2 Sep 1942
538 Sqn :: 2 Sep 1942 - 25 Jan 1943
532 Sqn :: 9 Nov 1942 - 1 Feb 1943
29 Sqn :: ??
53 OTU :: 9 May 1943 - ?15 May 1945 (satellite)
RAF Hibaldstow was built and opened on 12 May 1941 on a former rabbit warren and lasted a short while beyond war's end, closing in 1947 with buildings dismantled around then. During 1943 it became a satellite of RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey when that station changed role and became a training not a fighter base. Hibaldstow was protected from enemy air raids by the Q site night decoy at Thornton le Moor.
255 Sqn were the first occupants from the airfield's commissioning, arriving with Defiant from Kirton in Lindsey and scoring the first kill from Hibaldstow on 5 Jun 1941 against an He-111. 255 Sqn was joined by 253 Sqn from Orkney in Sep 1941. The receding threat posed by Luftwaffe night-time operations lead to closure on 23 Jan 1943. The airbase re-opened on 9 May 1943 for a 53 OTU detail from Kirton-in-Lindsey and once again closed on 15 May 1945. The land was sold off in 1960/61.
The name Hibaldstow derives from Saint Higbald, a Northumbrian missionary who became Abbot of Bardney and later a saint. Three churches around the village were dedicated to him when canonised and 'Hibaldstow' means 'The shrine of St Hibald'.
Details of the RAF Kirton in Lindsey and Hibaldstow Association are on the Association page.
Buy an aerial photo of RAF Hibaldstow on GetMapping.com
powered by blueconsultancy