Opened: Sep 1942
Subordinate to 14 Base: 16 Dec 1943
Airfield code :: UI
ICAO Code :: EGNW
Airfield call sign :: GRATEFUL
Closed: flying ceased shortly after war's end, closed 1956, now home to a civilian air club
Units based here:
12 Sqn :: Sep 1942 - 24 Sep 1945
626 Sqn :: 7 Nov 1943 - 14 Oct 1945
93 MU :: <1949 - 1952
92 MU :: 1952 - 1956
RAF Wickenby, a purpose built bomber station, was constructed from late 1941, additional works taking place in early 1943, and covered about 600 acres in the standard three-runway configuration. 12 Sqn arrived in Sep 1942 from RAF Binbrook and gave birth to 626 Sqn in Nov 1943. On 1 Oct 1943 Wickenby formed 14 Base under RAF Ludford Magna in the 1 Gp Base system. Wickenby was was protected by a Q site night decoy (Q177A) at Rand, one mile north of Wragby.
The Wickenby sqns played a large part in the bomber offensive, were also involved in mine-laying, Op MANNA and Op EXODUS. After war's end 12 Sqn moved back to RAF Binbrook and 626 Sqn disbanded. 109 Sqn was here for a few weeks and was the last flying unit, departing Nov 1945.
After the flying sqns departed 93 Maintenance Unit (MU) and then in 1952 92 MU used the operating surfaces for explosive ordinance disposal until closure in 1956. From 1964 land was cleared and returned to former civilian owners where possible and the site was disposed of in the mid 1960s.
1080 Wickenby-based airmen died during the war when over 300 operations were flown. 166 bombers were lost, 160 of which were Lancasters. A further 30 aircraft were lost in operational crashes. RAF Wickenby is now commemorated in memorial stone of Icarus at the entrance to the airfield, now a flying club. See "A Brief History of the RAF in Lincolnshire" :: website.
In the modern day the northern portion of RAF Wickenby is Wickenby Airport and home to a flying club.
RAF Wickenby Memorial StoneRAF Wickenby memories on the Wartime Memories Project
Buy the local map:
powered by blueconsultancy