|RAF North Killingholme|
Updated: 21 Aug 04
Opened: Jul 1914
Re-opened: Nov 1943
Closed: 31 Oct 1945
Airfield code: NK
Squadrons based here:
550 Sqn :: 3 Jan 1944 - Oct 1945
Killingholme aerodrome was opened in Jul 1914 and was the first aerodrome in Lincolnshire. It was a mile from the site of NAS Killingholme WWI seaplane base. When was re-opened during World War II in Nov 1943 it was allocated to No 1 Group, Bomber Command. 550 Sqn moved here from RAF Waltham in Jan 1944 and flew on 190 operations with the loss of 62 Lancaster. 550 Sqn was the only squadron to be based at North Killingholme.
RAF North Killingholme and 550 Sqn are commemorated in a memorial stone in North Killingholme village close to the oil refineries. See "A Brief History of the RAF in Lincolnshire" :: website. The relevant page is linked directly in the column to the right of this page. Not a lot left of this former 1 Group station. The site is now an industrial estate with just a few hangars remaining. The alignment of the North East / South West runway can just be made out.
See the photos on this site for more details.
RAF North Killingholme should not be confused with the nearby Great War seaplane base of NAS Killingholme.
RAF North Killingholme Memorial
RAF North Killingholme page on Royal Air Force website
RAF North Killingholme on ControlTowers.co.uk
Buy an aerial photo of RAF North Killingholme on GetMapping.com
powered by blueconsultancy