|Morton Hall (5 Gp HQ, 91 (Training) Gp HQ, 21 (Training) Gp HQ)|
Updated: 3 Jan 13
Opened: Nov 1943
Access: Restricted. Footpath and bridleway pass within 300 metres.
Formations based here:
5 Gp HQ :: Nov 1943 - 15 Dec 1945 (disbanded)
91 Gp HQ :: Apr 1947
21 Gp HQ :: 1 May 1947 - 1 Mar 1955
5131 Bomb Disposal Squadron :: >=1948 - 1958
5 Group moved its headquarters from St Vincents (RAF Grantham) in Nov 1943 to Morton Hall, near Swinderby. It was disbanded on 15 Dec 1945.
No 21 (Training) Group absorbed No 91 (Training) Group, Bomber Command on 1 May 1947, taking over that Group’s HQ at Morton Hall, having previously been at St Vincents. While here it absorbed 54 Group before disbanding in turn on 1 Mar 1955.
Later, until the closure of the Hall as an RAF facility in 1958, it was the home of 5131 Bomb Disposal Squadron.
Morton Hall was converted to a prison for female offenders, Her Majesty's Prison (HMP) Morton Hall, a Category D female semi-open prison, in 1985. It was taken over by the UK Border Agency and opened as an Immigration Removal Centre on 1 Jun 2011. The original hall does not remain, having burnt down in the 1980s, although the grounds are partially retained.
There is an RAF memorial which is now located within the IRC. In spite of this it can be viewed by members of the public by appointment.
More Tales of a Bomber Command WAAF: Further Wartime Experiences of a Former Airwoman by Sylvia Pickering
powered by blueconsultancy