Updated: 14 Feb 12
Opened: Oct 1942
Closed: continues to operate as Humberside International Airport
ICAO Code: EGNJ
Airfield code :: KG > HS
ICAO Code :: EGNJ
Airfield call sign :: RISKY
Squadrons based here:
166 Sqn :: Jan 1943 - 1945
150 Sqn :: 1942 - 1945
142 Sqn :: ??
153 Sqn :: ??
RAF Kirmington was a wartime bomber base. Construction work began in 1941 and it opened in Oct 1942 with 140 Sqn's Wellington. It closed in 1945 and between 1960 and 1968 the local council first began to consider commercial development as a regional airport. Using the existing runways as the core of the development the council bought the 288 acre site for £320,000 in 1969. It has acted as a civil airport since 1974. There are now daily charter and scheduled flights from what has become Humberside International Airport.
Open: Free views of the apron and runway are available.
The Wartime Memories Project has some recollections from Kirmington-based crews :: click here
Sgt Roy Keen's personal account of life with 166 Sqn at Kirmington is on the Air-Scene UK site :: click here
The Viking Way long-distance footpath passes the airfield to the west.
Buy an aerial photo of RAF Kirmington on GetMapping.com
RAF Kirmington page on Royal Air Force website
History of Humberside International Airport
Humberside International Airport website
powered by blueconsultancy