RAF-Lincolnshire.info - the home of Royal Air Force and airfield history in Lincolnshire, including allied and other air services.

  RAF Bracebridge Heath

Home
RAF Stations & Bases
Full list of locations
Squadrons and Units
A brief history
Aircraft types
Forum
Photographs
Memorials
Crashes
Sqn & Stn Associations
Museums
Maps
Oral History
Books
Search site
Links
Sitemap
Abbreviations
People Finder
Family history & research
About the site
FAQs
Contact us
Copyright
Updates

> RAF Bases

Interactive map
Full list of locations

Alma Park
Anwick
Bardney
Barkston Heath
Belton Park
Binbrook
Blankney Hall
Blyton
Boston Wyberton Fen
Bottesford
Bracebridge Heath
Braceby
Buckminster
Bucknall
Caistor
Cockthorne
Coleby Grange
Coningsby
Cranwell
Cuxwold
Digby
Donna Nook
Dunholme Lodge
East Halton
East Kirkby
Elsham Wolds
Faldingworth
Fiskerton
Folkingham
Freiston
Fulbeck
Gosberton
Goxhill
Grantham
Greenland Top
Grimsby
Grimsthorpe Park
Harlaxton
Hemswell
Hibaldstow
Holbeach
Humberston
Immingham
Ingham
Ingoldmels
Kelstern
Killingholme
Kirmington
Kirton in Lindsey
Langtoft
Leadenham
Lincoln West Common
Ludford Magna
Manby
Market Deeping
Market Stainton
Mere
Metheringham
Moorby
Morton Hall
New Holland
Nocton Hall
Normanby
North Coates
North Killingholme
North Witham
Norton Disney
Orby
Rauceby
Saltby
Sandtoft
Scampton
Skegness
Skellingthorpe
Skendleby
South Carlton
South Elkington
South Witham
Spilsby
Spitalgate
Stenigot
Strubby
Sturgate
Sutton Bridge
Swinderby
Swinstead
Theddlethorpe
Tydd St Mary
Waddington
Wainfleet
Waltham (Grimsby)
Wellingore
Wickenby
Wigsley
Winterton
Woodhall Spa

Updated: 17 Jan 2013

Opened: <= 1919

Closed: 1920

Unit based here:

121 Sqn :: 14 Oct 1918

4 AAP :: 1919 - 1920

The RFC aerodrome at Bracebridge Heath was originally opened in 1916 by Lincoln-based aircraft manufacturer Robey for the manufacture and flight testing of their Sopwith aircraft. This was taken over by the RFC within two years to become RFC Bracebridge Heath.

The site was under construction on 1 Apr 1918 as an Aircraft Acceptance Park, to replace Lincoln (West Common).

121 Sqn reformed here after a brief existence (1 Jan - 17 Aug 1918) at RAF Narborough.

From 1919 until 1920 it was home for 4 Air Acceptance Park (4 AAP).

During WWII, the Repair Organisation managed by A V Roe and Co Ltd at Bracebridge Heath recovered large numbers of damaged Avro Lancasters, which would otherwise have been scrapped, and returned them to service; this made a major contribution to the bomber offensive against Germany.

The Triple Aircraft Hanger which was located here, being of unique interest (a Belfast truss hangar?), was Grade II listed. Despite this it was demolished in 2001.

After WWII Bracebridge Heath continued its aviation connections as a factory for A V Roe. It was here that the 2 Avro 707 test aircraft were constructed, before being towed down the A15 to Waddington for their maiden test fligts. The Acro 707 were research aircraft for delta wing flight which culminated in the production of the Vulcan bomber.

location of RAF Bracebridge Heath  relation to Lincolnshire - click here for full-size map showing all station locations

Buy the local map:
click to buy on Amazon.co.uk1:25 000 (detail)
click to buy on Amazon.co.uk1:50 000 (area) Sheet 121

121 Sqn history

Grid Reference 985673