Updated: 3 Mar 08
Squadrons based here:
38 Sqn RFC :: 1916 - 1918 (C Flt only)
19 Sqn :: 1918
90 Sqn :: 14 Aug 1918 - Jun 1919 (A Flt only)
Leadenham airfield was situated on the Lincoln Edge above Leadenham village, with the south-eastern corner of Leadenham's 86 acre aerodrome just north of the Leadenham - Brauncewell - Ruskington road. Its location is marked by a historical sign and few traces remain.
Leadenham was created as an airfield for 38 Sqn RFC to operate from, providing home defence against the threat of Zeppelin attacks. 38 Sqn remained here until 1918 when it was sent to the Western Front. It was replaced by 19 Sqn, which was used as a training squadron.
At the end of the Great War 19 Sqn was disbanded. A detachment of 90 Sqn operated here for a year, with Sqn HQ remaining at Buckminster. The airfield finally closed after 90 Sqn departed in Jun 1919.
1:25 000 (detail)
1:50 000 (area)
powered by blueconsultancy