Updated: 12 Feb 12
Opened: 13 April 1943
Care & Maintenance :: Oct 1945
Transferred to Army :: 1945, for vehicle storage
Thor Missile Site :: 1959 - 1963 (106 Sqn)
Squadrons based here:
IX Sqn :: 13 Apr 1943 - 7 Jul 1945
189 Sqn :: Nov 1944, Apr-Oct 1945
227 Sqn:: Oct 1944 -
106 Sqn :: 1959 - 1963
Airfield code: BA
Airfield call sign :: RUDKIN, SMALLTYPE (Apr 1943)
RAF Bardney was opened in Apr 1943 as a 53 Base substation, a satellite airfield to RAF Waddington. IX Sqn moved in; 227 Sqn formed here in Oct 1944 with personnel from 9 Sqn making up one flight, moving to RAF Balderton; 189 Sqn formed here in Nov 1944, again with personnel from 9 Sqn, moving to RAF Fulbeck and returning in Apr 1945 and departing again, this time for RAF Metheringham in Oct 1945.
While based here 9 Sqn bombed U-boats and dropped a Tallboy on the Tirpitz.
RAF Bardney was home to 106 (SM) Sqn from Jul 1959 - May 1963 with 3 Thor IRBM launchers. Each missile was armed with a one-megaton nuclear warhead, controlled by the US Air Force under so-called dual-key arrangements. RAF Hemswell was the headquarters for the 5 Lincolnshire dispersal sites at RAF Hemswell, RAF Bardney, RAF Caistor, RAF Coleby Grange and RAF Ludford Magna.
In later years Bardney became home to a glider club and crop sprayers.
There is a memorial in Bardney village made to 9 Sqn from the propeller and spinner from a Lancaster and a piece of Norwegian stone. Photographs and a description are on the RAF Bardney memorial page.
The Viking Way long-distance footpath passes within 800m of the RAF Bardney site at King's Hill.
Photos of RAF Bardney control tower
powered by blueconsultancy