|RAF Dunholme Lodge|
Opened: officially recognised Sep 1942
Closed: Flying ceased Nov 1944, closed 1945
Airfield code :: DL
ICAO Code ::
Airfield call sign :: BlUESTRIPE, BAKEWELL
Squadrons based here:
1485 Gunnery Flight :: - May 1943
44 Sqn :: May 1943 - Sep 1944
49 Sqn :: 22 Sep 1943 - 23 Oct 1943
619 Sqn :: 17 Apr 1944 - 30 Sep 1944
170 Sqn :: 22 Oct 30 - 30 Nov 1944
141 Sqn :: 1959 - 1964
RAF Dunholme Lodge started military life as a grass field used by aircraft from RAF Scampton during 1941 and 1942. It was then given official recognition as a station in Sep 1942 and built up to a full station by May 1943 under 5 Gp, Bomber Command.
49 Sqn operated out of RAF Dunholme Lodge for a month from 22 Sep - 23 Oct 1943 during runway repairs at RAF Fiskerton.
On 22 Oct 1944 Dunholme Lodge transfered to 6 Gp. By war's end over 120 Lancaster had been lost on operations from the airfield. Flight operations ceased after 30 Nov 1944 as the airfield was too close to other stations to permit night flying. It was instead used to store Hamilcar gliders until the end of the war.
The William Farr School is built on one of Dunholme Lodge's domestic sites. The school library holds a range of material relating to RAF Dunholme Lodge, including photographs of Polish Air Force and Polish Resettlement Corps personnel. Further details of memorials on the memorials page.
Photographs of the contemporary Dunholme Lodge are in the photos section.
RAF Dunholme Lodge page on Royal Air Force website
About the Bloodhound system
Bloodhound exhibit at RAF Cosford
powered by blueconsultancy