|RAF Humberston Chain Home Low|
Updated: 26 Dec 12
Opened: 27 Jan 1941 as Chain Home Low.
Access: A public footpath skirts the perimeter of the site, approximately 100 metres from the original mast site.
RAF Humberston served as Chain Home Low Radar Station 35B site during World War II. THe Chain Home Low radar was conceived to plot shipping positions for the Royal Navy but was expanded for use by the RAF to fill gaps in low-level coverage from Chain Home.
There are some indications that the Humberston site first had military purpose as a camp as early as 1908. It may also have served as a supply depot for the Humber forts before 1939.
Humberston became a CHL site on 27 Jan 1941. The CHL Radar was situated on top of a 185 ft lattice mast. CHL sites typically comprised two gantries carrying the transmitter and receiver aerial arrays, a transmitter and receiver hut, a standby set house for the reserve power, and a general purposes hut. Defence measures installed at radar stations included Light Anti-Aircraft gun emplacements, pillboxes, road blocks and air raid shelters.
After closing as a radar site Humberston was initially occupied by the YMCA and is now used by the Tertia Trust. The trust initially used some of the former RAF buildings for accommodation but the remaining RAF buildings are effectively abandoned.
In Bomber County it is refered to once as a wireless telegraphy station.
Contemporary photos of Humberston site
powered by blueconsultancy