|RAF Grimsby (RAF Waltham)|
Opened: 1933 as municipal airfield; became RAF station on 26 Nov 1941
Airfield code :: GY
ICAO Code ::
Squadrons based here:
142 Sqn :: 1943 -
100 Sqn :: Jan 1942 - 1 Apr 1945
550 Sqn :: 20 Oct 1943 - 3 Jan 1944
RAF Waltham, also known as RAF Grimsby, was brought into RAF service in Nov 1941 as a satellite to RAF Binbrook. Later in 1943 it became No 12 Base substation. RAF Waltham and 100 Sqn are commemorated in a memorial stone on the A16 next to the site of the base. A public house, the Jug and Bottle stands on the site of Waltham's dispersion points. The memorial is at the traffic lights nearly opposite. Parts of the runways are still visible, although the site now houses a golf driving range. See "A Brief History of the RAF in Lincolnshire" :: website. The relevant page is linked directly in the column to the right of this page.
Friskney.com has a series of airfield plans and photographs :: click here
There is a commemorative plaque at the Cheapside entrance to the RAF Grimsby site. "RAF Grimsby (Waltham) 1941-1945. To fight for our freedom and to end the Nazi tyranny, young people from all over the world came to this airfield to serve and to fly the Wellingtons and Lancasters of 142 and 100 Squadrons. Over 1000 brave young men came through this entrance - never to return. Many more were shot down and captured. We will remember them and salute all who served here."
There is a museum to RAF GRIMSBY/WALTHAM based at the Waltham Windmill Rural history museum. It contains many items concerned with 100 Sqn operations during WW2.
169 aircraft were lost from this Station during World War II. Read about 100 Sqn Lancaster MkIII ED-549 HW-S.
Interactive airfield plan and photos on friskney.com
RAF Waltham Memorial Stone
RAF Grimsby page on Royal Air Force website
RAF Waltham photos on ControlTowers.co.uk
Buy an aerial photo of RAF Grimsby on GetMapping.com
powered by blueconsultancy