RAF-Lincolnshire.info - the home of Royal Air Force and airfield history in Lincolnshire, including allied and other air services.

  History :: Airfield Pundit Codes

Home
RAF Stations & Bases
Aircraft types
Forum and Bulletin Boards
Search site
Links
Books
Abbreviations
People Finder
About

Contact us

> Units and Formations

Flying Squadrons
5 Sqn
6 Sqn
8 Sqn
9 Sqn
10 Sqn
11 Sqn
12 Sqn
15 Sqn
18 Sqn
21 Sqn
22 Sqn
23 Sqn
25 Sqn
27 Sqn
29 Sqn
33 Sqn
35 Sqn
39 Sqn
41 Sqn
43 Sqn
44 Sqn
46 Sqn
49 Sqn
50 Sqn
51 Sqn
54 Sqn
56 Sqn
57 Sqn
61 Sqn
64 Sqn
65 Sqn
68 Sqn
69 Sqn
70 Sqn
71 Sqn
73 Sqn
75 Sqn
81 Sqn
83 Sqn
85 Sqn
88 Sqn
90 Sqn
92 Sqn
97 Sqn
100 Sqn
101 Sqn
103 Sqn
104 Sqn
106 Sqn
109 Sqn
110 Sqn
111 Sqn
112 Sqn
113 Sqn
116 Sqn
121 Sqn
133 Sqn
136 Sqn
139 Sqn
141 Sqn
142 Sqn
143 Sqn
144 Sqn
148 Sqn
149 Sqn
150 Sqn
151 Sqn
153 Sqn
154 Sqn
166 Sqn
170 Sqn
189 Sqn
198 Sqn
199 Sqn
203 Sqn
206 Sqn
207 Sqn
209 Sqn
210 Sqn
211 Sqn
214 Sqn
222 Sqn
227 Sqn
228 Sqn
229 Sqn
235 Sqn
236 Sqn
248 Sqn
249 Sqn
251 Sqn
253 Sqn
254 Sqn
255 Sqn
256 Sqn
264 Sqn
266 Sqn
280 Sqn
288 Sqn
300 Sqn
301 Sqn
302 Sqn
303 Sqn
305 Sqn
307 Sqn
309 Sqn
310 Sqn
349 Sqn
350 Sqn
401 Sqn
402 Sqn
404 Sqn
407 Sqn
409 Sqn
410 Sqn
411 Sqn
412 Sqn
415 Sqn
416 Sqn
420 Sqn
421 Sqn
430 Sqn
438 Sqn
439 Sqn
441 Sqn
442 Sqn
443 Sqn
452 Sqn
455 Sqn
460 Sqn
463 Sqn
467 Sqn
486 Sqn
503 Sqn
504 Sqn
527 Sqn
528 Sqn
532 Sqn
538 Sqn
542 Sqn
550 Sqn
576 Sqn
601 Sqn
609 Sqn
613 Sqn
616 Sqn
617 Sqn
619 Sqn
625 Sqn
626 Sqn
627 Sqn
630 Sqn

Heavy Conversion Units
1654 HCU
1656 HCU
1660 HCU
1661 HCU
1662 HCU
1665 HCU
1667 HCU
1668 HCU
21 HGCU

Advanced Flying Schools
201 AFS

Advanced Flying Units
12 AFU
15 AFU

Flying Training Schools
1 FTS
2 FTS
3 FTS
6 FTS
7 FTS
12 FTS
1 Lancaster Finishing School
Central Flying School

Operational Training/
Conversion Units
(Fighter)
6 OTU
53 OTU

56 OTU

(Bomber)
228 OCU
230 OCU

Air Armament Schools
1 AAS
2 AAS
Empire Central AS

Other schools
1 Gp Aircrew School
1 Ground Defence School
1 Air Observers School
Central Gunnery School
5 Gp Anti Air School

Other units
Bomber Command
Coastal Command
Fighter Command
HQ No 5 Group
HQ No 23 Group
1485 Gunnery Flight
2782 Defence Sqn
178 Support Unit
399 Signals Unit
Nationality based Sqns

Updated: 7 Feb 12

High-power coloured lights flashing morse code were employed from before World War II as a visual aid to navigation by friendly aircrew. There were only two standard forms, Landmark Beacons (Pundits) and Aerial Lighthouses.

By 1937 all airfields which were intended to fully support night flying had been equipped with a Landmark Beacon. The beacon was and remains more commonly known as the Pundit Beacon.

PUNDIT CODE AND BASE

In the Second World War each RAF airfield was allocated a unique identity code consisting of a bigram, or two-letter code known as a Pundit Code, to support airfield recognition from the air. The bigram was normally allocated on the basis of the airfield's name. As the wartime air force expanded the most popular combinations were rapidly exhausted, requiring a seemingly arbitrary allocation of unusual letters like Z, X, Q and I to some more recent sites, in order to maintain their purpose as unique identifiers.

These letters were repeated in the Signals Square - usually made of white-painted concrete, bordered by white stones and directly adjacent to the Watch Office. These would be visible up to around 2,000ft on a clear day.

Daytime use - Signals Square

Each airfield displayed its code in letters ten feet tall in two concrete rectangles placed in front of the Signals Square. This system of identification functioned perfectly in daylight and in clear weather.

Nighttime Use - Pundit Beacon / Pundit Light Trailer

At night, the base's Pundit Beacon was employed to flash the airfield's Pundit Code in Morse in red light. This was a mobile beacon known as a Pundit Light. Due to the risk of detection and observation by enemy aircraft the beacon was positioned a few miles from the airfield and periodically relocated. Part of crews' pre-mission briefings would include notification of the beacon position in relation to the airfield .

When night flying started the duty electrician would have to walk out to it and switch in on, which could take several minutes to do this and then start transmitting the morse letters for the station. Each airfield typically had three locations and alternate codes which were employed during WW2. Post-war they resumed using the standard code for that airfield and the beacons were located within the airfield perimeter. Once deployed and set up, the airfield ID code in use was set on the control disk. Ground crew would start up the engine and then activate the beacon in accordance to the instructions of Air Traffic Control or flight ops.

The trailed light flashed a red two-letter morse identification with the aid of interchangeable cams. It would be located between 2 and 5 miles from the airfield, and its position and flashing characteristic would be changed periodically, though care had to be taken that there was no duplication of the characteristic within a 1,000 mile radius. It was visible over 360 degrees in azimuth.

The beacon comprised 8 x 400 watt neon tubes and generator, switch gear mounted on a trailer chassis and was powered by a Coventry-Climax 16.9hp engine.

PUNDIT ident beacon - photograph with kind permission of Dave Smith

Night Identification Panel

Where installed, the Night Identification Panels were an illuminated version of the Signals Square, and often located at opposite ends of the main runway, at the junction of the outer circuit and lead-in lights. These were mostly found in the crowded flat lands of eastern England.

The Aerial Lighthouse

The Aerial Lighthouse differed from the Pundit in both purpose and format. It was mounted on a standard RAF trailer and consisted of a single powerful filament lamp enclosed in a rotating venetian blind. The lighthouse emitted a single white letter in morse, which could be seen for around 60 miles. Each aerial lighthouse code was unique within a 150 mile radius.

A number of these were in operation in the UK as part of the Occult system. They were used to indicate particular geographical features, points of entry or exit to air routes, and turning points. They were generally not associated with airfields. (Employment during the wartime)

For further background on the early history of the aerial lighthouses visit Mycetes.co.uk

AiX discussion about pundit codes

> RAF history in Lincolnshire

The early years up to 1918
Early days in Saint Omer
The Inter-war years

World War TwoRAF
Cold War to the present

> The command structure

Bomber Command
Fighter Command
Coastal Command
Training Command
Balloon Command

> Airfield information

Generic airfield layout
Emergency landing grounds
Hangar types
FIDO fog dispersal
Airfield defences
Airfield call signs
Pundit codes
ICAO Codes

> Decoy airfields and deception

Q Sites
K sites
Starfish sites

> Other historical pages

Key dates of bomber offensives

Mission types

The secret, electronic war

Aircraft manufacturers in Lincolnshire

The US Air Forces in Lincolnshire

Selected books about Lincolnshire aviation history

The 'RAFwaffe'

History of the RNAS on the Fleet Air Arm Archive

The Architectural context -

> Ssources

Official Records
Crashes and Oral History

Aviation Heritage Lincolnshire
(Tourism)

Follow RAF Lincolnshire:
Visit RAF-Lincolnshire.info's facebook page. Like our page and stay up to date with our posts on facebook! Follow us on twitter and stay up to date with our frequent news items

Amazon.co.uk & Amazon.com

 

Google+

powered by blueconsultancy


  getmapping.com - buy high-resolution imagery of the airfield of your choice here!