|Headquarters, Number 1 Group Royal Air Force|
> Units and Formations
Updated: 1 Jun 04
Established: 1 May 1936
Hucknall :: Jun 1940 - Jul 1941
Bawtry Hall :: Jul 1941 - ??
No L (Bomber) Group was formed on 1 May 1936 that year by the redesignation of RAF Central Area HQ which was based at Abingdon. In 1939 No 1 Gp became the Advanced Air Striking Force (AASF) and deployed to France with 10 Battle sqns for army co-operation. In late Sep 1939 a new Group HQ was stood up for future deployment to France, but disbanded 3 months later. However, when British forces evacuated from the continent in Jun 1940 a second reformation of No 1 Grp took place at Hucknall with aircraft stationed in north Lincolnshire and south Yorkshire.
No 1 Gp squadrons equipped with the Lancaster from mid 1942 achieving a maximum strength of 350 aircraft in 14 squadrons. During the war 1 Gp's squadrons had delivered 238 356 tons of bombs and 8 147 sea mines in approximately 60 000 sorties in which 9 000 airmen lost their lives.
No 1 Group Units and Stations
The 1940 No 1 Group Stations were
HQ Bawtry Hall, RAF Blyton, RAF Dunholme Lodge, RAF Elsham Wolds, RAF Faldingworth, RAF Finningley, RAF Fiskerton, RAF Grimsby (Waltham), RAF Hemswell, RAF Ingham (Cammeringham), RAF Kelstern, RAF Kirmington, RAF Lindholme (Hatfield Woodhouse), RAF Ludford Magna, RAF North Killingholme, RAF Scampton, RAF Wickenby.
According to the RAF website the 20 Feb 1942 1 Gp Stations were
Subordinated to No 1 Gp in Feb 1942 were
According to the RAF website the 8 Jul 1943 1 Gp Stations were
Subordinated to No 1 Gp in Jul 1943 were
The 1945 No 1 Group Stations were
Subordinated to No 1 Gp in 1945 were
The types operated by the 1 Gp stations and squadrons during WWII were
Lancaster, Halifax, Wellington, Battle, Hampden and Manchester
powered by blueconsultancy