|RAAF, RCAF, RNZAF, Czech, French and Polish Squadrons|
> Units and Formations
Updated: 30 Oct 08
More information about the numbering system for squadrons and a full breakdown of nationality-based squadrons in numberical order is on the squadron numbering and codes page.
The RAAF represented 2% of all WW2 enlistments in the Australian Armed Forces but accounted for 22% of all casulties of the Australian services.
The Canadian Aviation Corps was established on 16 Sept 1914 but disbanded in Feb 1915. The Canadian Air Force formed in Nov 1918 but disbanded in Feb 1920 to be reformed the same month by the Army as an auxiliary reservist force. On 1 Apr 1924 the Royal Canadian Air Force formed with a permanent staff, becoming an independent service on 19 Nov 1938.
Because of the large number of Dominion squadrons which were to be formed in the United Kingdom under RAF control, and to avoid confusion with low-numbered RAF squadrons, the Air Ministry assigned the 400 - 445 to RCAF squadrons in the UK. On 1 Mar 41, 110 Sqn became 400 Sqn, No 1 became 401 Sqn, and No 2 (formerly No 112) became 402 Sqn. The first of the RCAF's 25 (later increased to 35) "Article 15" squadrons to be formed overseas was 403 (Fighter) Sqn, on 1 Mar 41. A further 6 were transferred from Canada, complete with air and ground crews, bringing the total serving in Britain to 44. 162 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Sqn was also detached from Eastern Air Command and operated under RAF Coastal Command during the last 17 months of the war, while three Air Observation Post squadrons (Nos. 664, 665 and 666) were formed with RCAF and Royal Canadian Artillery personnel.
Although the RCAF contributed 48 overseas squadrons to the war effort, the actual contribution by Canada was far greater. Of the RCAF personnel who served overseas, only about 40 percent actually served on Canadian squadrons, the remaining 60 percent served in RAF units. More on the 6 Gp Hq page.
During WWII the Polish Air Force was the third-largest allied air force behind the RAF and USAAF. More details on the Aquila website :: view here. A memorial to the Polish Sqns is at East Kirkby. Only 307 Sqn formed in Lincolnshire and it was the only PAF Sqn not to fly Spitfire.
Sqn (one flight), 310
Sqn and more
Sqn and more
320 (Netherlands) Sqn, 321 (Netherlands) Sqn and 322 Squadron (Dutch)
326 Sqn, 327 Sqn,
328 Sqn and 329 Sqn (French)
330 Sqn, 331 Sqn, 332 Sqn and 334 Sqn (Norwegian)
335 Sqn and 336 Sqn (Greece)
and 352 Sqns (Yugoslavia)
The 'Eagle' Squadrons, were manned by volunteers from the United States, who enlisted into the RAF before their country entered the war. Sep 1940 saw 71 Sqn RAF reform as the first of the Eagle Sqns. 121 Sqn followed on 14 May 1941 and was joined by 133 Sqn.
244 American volunteer pilots joined the RAF to fly with the Eagle Squadrons of Fighter Command which were credited with destroying 73 ½ German aircraft and the destruction of several German navy vessels during convoy patrol missions. The EagleSquadrons lost 77 American and 5 British airman to enemy action and accidents..
US Navy flying operations at Killingholme
powered by blueconsultancy