|198 Squadron Royal Air Force|
> Units and Formations
Formed: Jun 1918, RAF Rochford
Disbanded: Sep 1919
Reformed: 8 Dec 1942, RAF Digby
Squadron was based at:
RAF Rochford :: Jun 1918 - Sep 1919
RAF Digby :: 8 Dec 1942 - 23 Jan 1943
OUSTON - from 23rd January 1943.
198 Squadron RAF was created in the closing months of the Great War as a night flying training squadron equipped with Avro 504 and Sopwith Camel aircraft and disbanded in September 1919.
198 Sqn reformed on 8 Dec 1942 at RAF Digby as a night fighter squadron equipped with the recently introduced Hawker Typhoon fighter. Originally employed in flying defensive patrols over the north east of England the squadron was eventually moved to Manston during March 1943 where it took part in attempting to counter the nuisance raids being carried out by Focke Wulf 190 fighter-bombers on coastal towns such as Southampton and Portsmouth.
From the beginning of 1944 and through the run up to D Day on June 6th that year, 198 Sqn began using rocket projectiles as its main offensive armanent in daylight raids against such targets as communication centres, radar stations and coastal batteries in occupied France.
198 Sqn moved from 11 Group to 2nd Tactical Air Force 84 Group 123 Wing in 1944.
198 Sqn's Commanding Officer during its time at Digby was Sqn Ldr J W Villa DFC.
powered by blueconsultancy