|1110 Marine Craft Unit Immingham|
> Units and Formations
Updated: 11 May 04
Formed: <=Jul 1947
Disbanded: 12 Feb 1958
Unit was based at:
Immingham Dock :: Jul 1947 - 12 Feb 1958
The history of ST-1510, a Seaplane Tender Mk1a operated by 1110 MCU, was recorded by the British Military Powerboat Trust :: click here.
1110 MCU's strength was two RTTLs and two Seaplane Tenders/Range Safety Launches.
On 23 May 1955, 1511 was replaced by 1504. RTTL 2740 left the Unit on 28 Feb after a new type of launch had arrived on 28 Feb. This was a Vosper 68ft RTTL with alloy superstructure and powered by triple Napier Sea Lions. These craft were designed around a twin Rolls Royce Sea Griffon installation, but these engines were not available until much later. A month later 2754 arrived from Calshot and replaced 2552.
The next replacements were the new 43ft Thornycroft Range Safety Launches 1664 and 1665. These came direct from the builders, Herbert Woods of Potter Heigham, with the first arriving on 30 May 1956 and the latter on 17 Jul 1956. The arrival of these new RSLs meant that 1504 and 1501 became surplus to requirements, and departed for Calshot.
These four launches remained at 1110 MCU until it finally closed on 12 Feb 1958.
RAF Air Sea Rescue history on RAF website
Key dates in ASR
powered by blueconsultancy