|Aircraft :: Wellington|
Updated: 9 Sep 06
Full Official Name: Vickers Wellington
Role: Medium Bomber
Crew: 5 (pilot, observer (also navigator and bomber), front gunner, wireless operator and rear gunner)
Operated by: (Sqns with Lincolnshire connection only)
The Wellington was designed by Barnes Wallis. Due to its geodetic "basket-weave" construction, was renowned for the punishment it could take. Its skin was doped fabric. Both popular and reliable, the Wellington was used for advanced training well past 1945.
The Wellington was a dependable and much-loved aircraft which flew continually on Bomber Command operations from the start of the war until its final Bomber Command bombing mission on 8 Oct 1943 which included 300 Sqn. Some of the Wellington squadrons remained in Bomber Command until well into 1944 but only flying limited operations, mainly minelaying.
It was equipped with two inline or radial engines.
2 x hydraulic power-operated gun turrets, 2 x .303 Browning machine guns in front, 4 x .303 Browning MG in rear.
Maximum speed 235 mph
With a combat load of 4,500 lbs of bombs it could operate up to 1,200 miles, with a maximum height of 20,000 feet.
powered by blueconsultancy